Medicare benefits are essential for older Americans’ access to preventive care, chronic illness management, and acute care, and therefore to promoting optimal functional status and quality of life. Medicaid programs supplement these benefits, provide funding for long-term care, and allow lower-income beneficiaries to access important services.
The AGS is committed to preserving and strengthening these programs for current and future generations of Americans.
We oppose any changes to Medicare that would increase costs, reduce coverage, or cut benefits. We also believe it is critically important to continue promoting preventive services and closing the Medicare Part D coverage gap.
We are opposed to any changes to Medicaid that would reduce access to necessary services for older Americans and those with disabilities.
Our Work in This Area
- AGS Responds to President Trump’s FY 2019 Budget Request (February 16, 2018)
- Letter to CMS on New MIPS Specialty Measure Set for Geriatrics (February 9, 2018)
- AGS Remains Deeply Troubled by Tax Reform Bill and Its Impact on Older Americans (December 15, 2017)
- AGS Troubled by Senate Tax Reform Bill and its Impact on Older Americans (December 4, 2017)
- Letter to CMS on Innovation Center New Direction RFI (November 20, 2017)
- Tax Reform Proposal Has Serious Implications for Older Americans (November 16, 2017)
- Latest Health Reform Proposal Jeopardizes Care for Us All as We Age (September 20, 2017)
- Bipartisan Collaboration Opens Door to Strengthen Nation's Healthcare System, AGS (August 7, 2017)
- AGS Encourages Bipartisan Collaboration on Health Reform Proposals (July 24, 2017)
- Senate Health Reform Proposal Jeopardizes Care for Us All as We Age, AGS (June 22, 2017)
- AGS Statement on President Trump's Full Budget Proposal for 2018 (May 23, 2017)
- Letter to CMS on ACA Market Stabilization Proposed Rule (March 6, 2017)
- Letter to CMS on PACE Innovation Act (February 10, 2017)
- Letter to House and Senate Leadership on Programs and Policies Important to Older Adults (January 12, 2017)
- Letter to President-Elect Trump on Programs and Policies Important to Older Adults (January 10, 2017)
- Letter to CMS on Patient Relationship Categories and Codes (January 6, 2017)
- Letter to CMS on MACRA Final Rule (December 29, 2016)
- Letter to CMS on Proposed Changes to the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) (October 17, 2016)
- Letter to CMS on Bundled Payment Models for Cardiac and Orthopedic Care Proposed Rule (October 3, 2016)
- Letter on CY 2017 Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule (September 6, 2016)
- Multispecialty Coalition Letter on CY 2017 Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule (September 6, 2016)
- Letter to CMS on MACRA Proposed Rule (June 27, 2016)
- Letter to CMS on Changes to Medicare Part D for CY 2017 (March 4, 2016)
- Letter to CMS on Episode Groups RFI (March 1, 2016)
- Letter to Senate Finance Committee on Chronic Care Policy Options (January 26, 2016)
- Comments on 21st Century Cures Discussion (February 20, 2015)