Who We Are
The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) is a not-for-profit organization of more than 6,000 health professionals devoted to improving the health, independence and quality of life of all older people. The Society provides leadership to healthcare professionals, policy makers and the public by implementing and advocating for programs in patient care, research, professional and public education, and public policy.
To improve the health, independence, and quality of life of all older people.
Our Vision for the Future
Every older American will receive high-quality, patient-centered care.
Strategies for Achieving Our Vision
- Expanding the geriatrics knowledge base through initiatives that promote basic, clinical, and health services research regarding the health of older adults.
- Increasing the number of healthcare professionals employing the principles of geriatric medicine when caring for older persons by supporting the expansion of geriatric education in all applicable health professions and promoting the development of systems of care and practice redesign that facilitate the provision of quality geriatric care.
- Recruiting physicians and other healthcare professionals into careers in geriatrics through efforts to ensure that geriatrics is a viable, attractive, and rewarding career choice.
- Guiding public policy through advocacy so policy supports improved health and healthcare for seniors.
- Raising public awareness of the need for high-quality, culturally sensitive geriatric healthcare so an empowered, proactive public can help drive improvements in the quality of care that older persons receive.