Since 1994, the Geriatrics-for-Specialists Initiative (GSI) has conducted collaborative activities with numerous organizations and leaders in academic medicine, all designed to increase awareness of and knowledge in the care of older adults among surgical and related medical specialists.
Our mission is to improve the wellbeing of America’s older adults by increasing specialty physicians’ competence in geriatrics. Our specific goals are to:
- Identify and support specialty faculty in promoting geriatrics training and research within their own professional disciplines.
- Assist professional certifying bodies and professional societies in improving the ability of their constituencies to care for older adults.
- Enhance the geriatrics knowledge and expertise of practicing surgeons and medical specialists through continuing medical education, maintenance of certification programs, and quality measures that help to improve the care that they provide to frail older adults.
- Improve the amount and quality of geriatrics education received by specialist trainees.
- Create an independent, sustainable collaboration in which the participating societies, and their respective training and certification programs, will continue to carry out the GSI’s mission and goals.