Spotlight on #AGS18: Get Inside Tips on Writing a Research Abstract
Want to write the perfect research abstract for #AGS18? You're in luck! Abstract Selection Committee members Camille P. Vaughan, MD, MS, and Cathleen Colon-Emeric, MD, FACP, MHSc, AGSF, will be presenting a webinar on preparing and writing abstracts for presentation at the AGS Annual Scientific Meeting. As our past presenters well know, the abstract drafting process takes time and effort. It's a skill that can be learned, however, and it's a skill that also will increase the likelihood your research makes it on stage at a marquee event like #AGS18.
Dr. Vaughn and Dr. Colon-Emeric will focus on how to write a solid abstract, what reviewers look for when reviewing abstracts, and how to navigate the basics of the abstract submission website. Learn more and register here.
When you've learned all you can, don't forget to put those skills to good use: #AGS18 abstracts will be accepted here through 11:59pm ET on Fri., Dec. 1.
Here's What's Trending on MyAGSOnline
- Want to help a capstone class working on an automated product for dispensing prescriptions? Chime in here...
- Have experience with nursing home residents denied readmission because of multi-drug-resistant organisms? Share insights here...
- Have any information on topical methadone mixed in lidocaine for application to a palliative patient's legs? Contribute here...
And congratulations to this week's most active members: Lauren Gleason, MD, MPH; Quratulain Syed, MD; Delia Takagi, MD; and Netrali Patel, MD. Thank you for your contributions!
CMSS Video Added to AGS MACRA Toolkit
The Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS) recently teamed up with Osmosis.org to produce a 10-minute video addressing the details of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015. This video simplifies the complexities of healthcare professional compensation under MACRA, and has now been added to the host of tools available to AGS members via the AGS MACRA toolkit.
Don't Miss Upcoming Workshop on Financing & Payment Strategies to Support High-Quality Care for People with Serious Illnesses
On Wed., Nov. 29, the Roundtable on Quality Care for People with Serious Illness at the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine will host a public workshop on financing and payment strategies to support high-quality care for people with serious illness. The workshop will feature invited presentations and panel discussions on:
- Integrated financing models, such as Medicare Advantage programs, Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), and risk-based payment approaches such as Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) and bundled payments.
- Programs such as the Medicare hospice benefit, Medicare Home Health Care, Medicaid Home Health Care, and financing and payment methods for the dual-eligible population.
- Incorporating performance metrics into payment models, such as pay-for-performance and performance incentives.
- Potential policy steps to address key gaps, challenges, and opportunities related to financing and payment models to support high-quality care for serious illness.
Can't attend in person? The workshop will be live-cast here.
Hey, Junior Research Faculty: Become a Reviewer with JAGS!
The Junior Reviewer Program at the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) is designed to bring new, fresh voices to the review process; to train high-quality reviewers, and to continue building the community of aging scholars. The application process is easy and is open to anyone, particularly colleagues in the early stages of academic careers or research fellowships focused on geriatrics. Learn more.
Tideswell Emerging Leaders in Aging Program Now Accepting Applications for 2018-2019 Scholars
The Tideswell at UCSF, AGS, and ADGAP Emerging Leaders in Aging Scholars Program is designed for advanced junior or mid-career health professionals with a clear commitment to the field of aging and a leadership role in a clinical, research, education, or policy programs. The program is now accepting applications from physicians; nurses; pharmacists; psychologists; social workers; physical, speech, and occupational therapists; and non-clinicians with evidence of training or experience in aging. An academic affiliation is not required.
The program, designed to enhance and leverage existing leadership skills, consists of activities throughout the year, with the hope that scholars from all cohorts will remain meaningful colleagues throughout their careers. The deadline to apply is Mon., Jan. 8, 2018. Learn more.
Register Now for CMSS 2017 Patient & Family Engagement Summit
Join healthcare professionals, health system leaders, advocates, and healthcare consumers for a one-day summit focused on integrating and leveraging personal voices in U.S. health care. The Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS) 2017 Patient & Family Engagement Summit (Thurs., Nov. 16, in Arlington, VA) will challenge both clinicians and healthcare consumers to work collaboratively to co-design and develop programs bettering care delivery. Topics addressed at the Summit will include:
- Shared Decision-Making
- Cultural Competency/Equity
- Person-Centered Outcomes
- Patient & Family Engagement
- Point-of-Care Tools
- Best Practices in Developing Care Plans
Health Tech Companies are Looking for You!
The AMA Physician Innovation Network invites AGS physician members to join their platform for connecting healthcare experts with health tech companies.
- Connect with health tech companies that match your interest and expertise.
- Influence the development of emerging solutions in health care.
- Learn about health tech entrepreneurship from like-minded peers.
- Explore both paid and volunteer opportunities with health tech companies.
- Become a thought leader by sharing your experience and knowledge with others.
- Access experts through virtual panel discussions on topics such as "Giving Physicians a Seat at the Healthcare Innovation Table".
Your ideas and your input are needed to improve emerging solutions; join today
There's Still Time to Participate in National Survey on Older Adults Who Are or May Become "Unbefriended"
We still need AGS members to participate in a national survey on older adults who are "unbefriended" or "adult orphans" (socially isolated older adults who lack surrogates). The needs of this important group of older adults received considerable attention last year thanks to the AGS's position statement on "Making Medical Treatment Decisions for Unbefriended Older Adults." Researchers from the AGS, the Boston VA Healthcare System, and the Guardianship Policy Institute now want to learn about clinical experiences with and approaches to working with men and women who are or might become "unbefriended." The brief, anonymous survey can be completed online in less than 15 minutes, and participants will be entered in a raffle to win a free iPad. For more information and to begin the survey, click here.
Annual Reassignments for Certain Low-Income Subsidy Eligible Individuals
Today, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released an informational bulletin to provide an update on next steps in the processes reassignments for certain low-income subsidy (LIS)-eligible individuals. The bulletin provides information to ensure that states understand their role in ensuring that dual-eligible beneficiaries have timely, affordable, and comprehensive coverage under the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit. The informational bulletin can be accessed here.
Members & Geriatrics in the News
- As reported by CBS News, the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health (which includes the AGS) voiced strong opposition to the Trump Administration's plan to end regulations on carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants.
- POLITICO's new special report, The Agenda: Aging in America, dives deep into the biggest barriers to improving care for older adults. Presented by The John A. Hartford Foundation, the series illustrates how older people in America continue to experience a healthcare system that does not always meet their needs or support vibrancy.