Featured Publications & Resources
The GSI has developed and provided these resources and publications to enhance the Geriatrics education and research of surgical and related medical specialists.
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) Virtual Issue: AGS Advancing Geriatrics in Surgical & Medical Specialties
A Special Virtual Issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) compiling articles related to the GSI and its complementary internal medicine specialty initiative. These articles also are available on GeriatricsCareOnline.org, including access to several articles published outside JAGS.
Guidelines, Recommendations & Best Practices
The AGS’ GSI Initiative has collaborated with leading organizations to provide guidance to healthcare professionals and hospital systems on actionable, evidence-based measures to take care of older adults.
- The Clinical Practice Guideline for Postoperative Delirium in Older Adult
- Postoperative Delirium in Older Adults: Best Practice Statement from the American Geriatrics Society
- Geriatric Emergency Department Guidelines
- ACS National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP)/AGS Best Practice Guideline: Optimal Preoperative Assessment of the Geriatric Surgical Patient
- Optimal Perioperative Management of the Geriatric Patient: A Best Practices Guideline from the ACS NSQIP and the AGS
Geriatrics Virtual Patient Case (VPC) Modules for Surgical and Related Medical Sub-Specialties
Developed in Collaboration with the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and funded by the John A. Hartford Foundation, The AGS VPC Modules for Surgical and Related Medical Subspecialty Care of Older Adults are focused on the geriatrics aspects of surgical and related medical subspecialty care of older adults.
Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit
Funded by The John A. Hartford Foundation, the Geriatrics-for-Specialty-Residents (GSR) Toolkits is a compendium of geriatrics education tools and resources for specialty residents, assembled from the work of GSI grantees and other experts in the field.
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Anesthesiology
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Emergency Medicine
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: General Surgery
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Gynecology-Urology
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Ophthalmology
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Otolaryngology
- The Geriatrics for Specialty Residents Toolkit: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation